Saturday, September 25, 2010

VH1's Top 100 Bands

Time for some lighter blogging ...

Last night, I watched VH1's Top 100 Rock Bands of all time. I caught the last two hours as they reviewed Numbers 40 through the all-time greatest. No surprise that the Beatles were No. 1, but Bob Dylan at No. 3? It was that kind of night!

Here's the list, which by and large I found to be a good run-through. I humbly submit my Top 10 with some honorable mentions. Maybe you'll share your Top 10, as well.














10. Queen - Nobody like them.
9. Fleetwood Mac - Get better every time I listen to them as a group or as solo acts.
8. The Beatles - Greatest impact on so many that followed, though I like listening to McCartney & Wings more.
7. The Doors - Mesmerizing.
6. Tears for Fears - Sister Anne would wear me out if I left them off my list.
5. Run DMC - Yo, Jay!
4. The Who - Townshend is brilliant.
3. The Police - Cross-polination of rock and reggae with Sting's voice, Copeland's drums and Summers' riffs.
2. Mark Knopfler - Yes, Dire Straits, but so much more ... blues, country, stadium rock and tremendous movie scores. How is he not in the Top 100 and Dylan is No. 3?
1. U2 - My winner based on phenomenal songs, longevity and impact on humanity

Honorable mention: David Bowie, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Pretenders, Simple Minds, R.E.M., Coldplay, The Kinks, The Clash, Paul McCartney & Wings, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Moody Blues, The Cars and B-52s

No comments: