Sunday, October 4, 2009

In the Hospital

With a still-fragile new immune system, Dori has been diagnosed with RSV, aka respiratory syncytial virus. RSV is common in very young children.

Due to this setback, she has been admitted to Vanderbilt. The doctors want to be sure the virus doesn't result in pneumonia. She could be there another four days, the staff has told her.

This is Dori's second setback in a month. The first was likely catching the H1N1. We're quite sure she caught that and the RSV through exposure at her school.

Dori knows I have been quite concerned she is working almost around the clock less than two years after her transplant. The RSV diagnosis could be a blessing. Dori is reflecting on how much of the apple she should be biting and chewing at this point.

My advice to her has been to gather all the information, then think about it. She may be able to postpone getting her Master's in Education, which would free up 15 hours a week.

For now, it's all about getting better at VUMC. At night, Dori sleeps under a tent and breathes special air. The kids and I brought her lunch today; we had to wear masks. Dori looks fine, just run down like you and I would after a long month. Her blood counts Friday looked excellent. We just need them to stay up there. With rest, a lighter schedule and some good blessings, I'm confident we'll be ok.

I am fortunate I have great family to support us, as well as some very good friends. The kids were at my Mom's Friday and Saturday, allowing me to catch up with some college buddies Friday night and tailgate before the Vanderbilt-Ole Miss game last night.

Dori actually called me at the tailgate yesterday afternoon to tell me she was on her way to VUMC. She insisted I stay with my friends. I did. At the game, I thought of three things - Dori's condition, the ineptitude of Vanderbilt's offense, and being sure not to let this news ruin my friends' weekend. I should add that Will asked some frank questions about his Mom's condition. I thought about Will's query a lot, too. The positive is he isn't internalizing this. But it sucks he has to ask what could happen.

Positively, I ran well early this morning, despite little sleep, in 48 degree weather. I completed the 13.3 in 2 hours, 19 minutes, a 10:28/mile pace. I did good work on some hills and simulated the race with shorter fuel and stretch breaks. It's easier to run through pain when you're processing tough news. It's almost like the running pain doesn't equate to the pain one experiences during significant setbacks and challenges in life.


Anonymous said...

hi jim
we know rsv and this gig very sorry to hear this news. let me know if you need anything for you, dori and/or the kids...hopefully this will clear soon. in our experience it has been 3-5 days in the hospital and then about 5 additional days at home...i hope this passes quickly! elizabeth antony

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sending both you and Dori healing thoughts and positive vibes. I know both of you will get through this. I was a teacher before transplant and the Hutch really told me that being around school age children (seeing over a hundred a day) is a huge risk. Obviously, I am still on immunosupporessants and some pred and Dori's journey is so incredibly different. There are no "right" or "wrong" decisions. I know after teaching for 10 years that kids at any age never mean to infect or be contagious but things just fly around so easily. Please, make sure that neither you nor Dori feel blame or guilt, We all try to resume some balance between being smart/safe and living life to the fullest.
I am still trying to figure it out. For me, it will be 2 years in Dec since transplant. I luckily have never been hospitalized or been sick but dealing with cgvhd. For me, teaching (never mind trying to earn my Masters) would have been way too much.
Whatever you guys decide for the next step(s) will be the right one for you now.
Remember- you can always change your mind - many many times.
I respect you both for all the love, strength, inspiration, and genuine support you give each other and people like me.
Great 13 mileage time! Dori, take your time in the hospital and REST. You are a superstar and the kids and classes will still be there when you are ready to return.
I also tutor which is great since I have control over who I see and if they are sick - I don;t get near them. I still get a teaching fix and some sense of self but I believe has worked for my particular situation.
Keep on truckin!!!!!

Ronni Gordon said...

Sorry about the setback, but it sounds like she'll be out of the hospital soon. As you said, the enforced rest and time to think may be a good thing that helps her realize she should slow down. And good work on the run!

Ann said...

I asked about going back to school next semester and was discouraged from doing so. Too many worries about the flu, etc.
I'm praying that Dori has a fast recovery and gets to be home soon. You're both such an inspiration.