Monday, December 13, 2010

Please, Please Stop

Last Saturday morning, I ran with some Team In Training friends, giving the "Mission Moment" to 40 people who will be running races this spring. Obviously, I talked about Dori but also about my friend Jim Asker, a real inspiration to Dori and me.

Before the run, Jim told me a former teammate learned her mother has lymphoma. The next day, Dori and I heard a friend has breast cancer. I read the Sunday paper, in which an NHL assistant hockey coach here revealed he's battling prostate cancer.

At bedtime, my good night glass of water tasted like vinegar. Dori asked me what was wrong yesterday, and I just didn't feel like getting into it. I nitpicked and snapped much of the weekend.

This cancer thing is getting beyond old. And that's how I felt in 2008. The costs on families and society continue to soar, and we keep doing the same things - little exercise, the next cure-all, whatever.

The holidays are here, and I will cheer up some because we have Dori. But I better not read or hear any more news about cancer striking again.

I'm not in the mood.

No comments: