Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dori's Walk

My girl posted a little message on CaringBridge tonight. She would appreciate any support!

Hello dear friends!

I’m continuing to recover and improve from last summer’s relapse. I’m enjoying work again, appreciating my family and daily routine, and making physical strides, so much so that I’m planning to walk a half marathon.

After getting a “go for it” from my doctor, I decided to begin training to walk the Music City Half Marathon April 30. I am training with Gilda’s Club and fundraising for them. Founded by Gilda Radner, Gilda’s Club provides support and resources to those affected by cancer. Nashville is one of 21 cities that are fortunate to have this phenomenal organization.

I have read many stories of cancer survivors that partake in marathons and half marathons. Why is this common amongst survivors? I have been mulling over that question and asking myself why I’m doing this. These are some of my reasons:

~ I am no longer attached to an IV pole and restricted to where I can walk.
~ My leg muscles are coming back after being assaulted by steroids. I remember when I returned home this past August and it was a feat to walk on the treadmill for a mere five minutes.
~ I am honoring my special friends who have travelled this journey with me, such as Chuck and Sarah, who are cheering for me from heaven.
~ I absolutely love Gilda’s Club. All of its services are free, which is extremely helpful to those of us who receive a new medical bill every week or so. The programs are top-notch and worthwhile; my entire family has benefited from our time spent there.
~ I am hoping that by raising funds for Gilda’s Club, the dollars help some family that gets blindsided by cancer this year.

If you would like to donate any amount of money to this fabulous organization, please click on the following link:


http://www.firstgiving.com/gildas-gang-2011-16fee1

Thank you for the support that you have given me!

Love, Dori

No comments: