Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Civics Test


A friend sent me this link to a quiz on American civics. I thought most of the questions were relevant, some a bit whimsical.

That said, I took the quiz, encourage you to do the same and to share the link with civic-minded folk like yourself. According to the masterminds, the average score was 49%. My score was so-so, 26 of 33 for 79%. Tell us where you stack up, if you are so bold. Maybe we'll have some folks who scored 90% or higher. If so, you should be proud you paid attention in class and/or are well-read. Unfortunately, most Americans know the names of contestants on Dancing with the Stars and not much else.

Here's better news about a decline in the rate of cancer in the U.S. for the first time in years.

I'll end on that cheery note, and spare you my strong thoughts about more Big Government bailouts. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, which is always a good time to count our many blessings. I hope you enjoy it with your loved ones in your own traditional way.

... OK, I had to add the following. Talk about a Thanksgiving downer. C'mon, parents and school adminstrators ... Your paranoia and pursuit of political correctness sends the exact opposite message Thanksgiving is intended to convey. Perhaps they resent President Lincoln’s official declaration of “… the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.”

Isn't this the meaning of Thanksgiving, even if the accuracy of events isn't easily verifiable? It seems like some radicals are intent on squashing every tradition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made 85% and I'm mad about a couple that I missed. :(

Happy Thanksgiving!!

ChuckEastNashville said...

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.9%
Average score: 77.9%

I took Civics in high school and Government 101 in college. GLad I retained most of thsat knowledge.

ChuckEastNashville said...

...typos and all. It is too early for tests, ha ha.

Donna said...

Phooey - I got 25 out of 33 (76%)- I am mad that I missed some too. I am inspired to relearn.
I loved US Government in high school and Poli-sci in college. But the history end of some of the questions got me :(

Happy Thanksgiving!
p.s. Can't wait to let Runcie try!