Saturday, November 21, 2009

Good Start

I read a great phrase on a runner's board last night:

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Tomorrow morning, a few hundred runners will run the Flying Monkey Marathon in hilly Percy Warner Park. The athletes will have few flat stretches, and rain is in the forecast. I'll be there to cheer on some folks I know.

This morning, our Team In Training group kicked off with a goal to finish the Country Music Half Marathon and raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. We have 108 signed up so far, and I've got 12 in my group.

After attending nutrition, safety and strength programs, we went out for a two-miler. Our group looks good. We ran some 11-minute miles, and most stayed on the pace and picked it up the last mile.

I ran another three afterward, and felt great! I ran the last mile under eight minutes, reeling in a runner ahead of me for motivation. When the burn started, I thought of the phrase above. It worked. It also was nice to bag 20 miles, the most since Cape Cod.

No comments: