Sunday, November 8, 2009

Perspective

I've enjoyed the break from training the last two weeks.

A few days ago, Dori brought some delicious cookies home from Gilda's Club. I wish she hadn't. It's a bad combo - tasty cookies in the house and a small sense of entitlement after completing 26.2.

Yesterday morning, I ran five difficult miles. The first two went fine, then I had to work and the last one hurt. An old nemesis, my left achilles, and my knees and calves weren't agreeable. Total weekly mileage was 13 over four runs.

This afternoon, I ran four miles. It's 75 degrees today, and the last mile uphill into the sun was good work. I felt much better today, with nothing hurting. I don't have a smooth stride yet, however. It's hard to describe, but it's like having 90% power and something in the stride is uneven. If my body were a car, I'd be in for a tune-up.

Someone told me today Dori looks like she's had a makeover, that she looks great. When I shared this compliment with Dori, she said, "I have had a makeover!" She spent the weekend in the yard raking and bagging leaves, smiling the whole time. What used to be a boring chore is now a great time to get exercise.

Perspective is a good thing.

No comments: