Friday, January 25, 2008

Reminders

I'm talking to Dori about the week, which has been very busy but even more blunt. Dori says she's been reading blogs of transplant patients. One blog had a final entry from the mother of a young man in his early 30s. He never made it out of the hospital. A friend of ours had a friend on 11 North at VUMC who also didn't make it home recently; he died 12 days after his transplant. These are stark reminders what Dori and our friends with blood cancer are confronting. Please say a prayer for all these families.

Dori hasn't felt great for a week. Her cyclosporine level is still high, but thankfully lower. Her blood pressure was very low this morning because of some medication they've since stopped. That made me feel two feet tall this morning (I was on the road on business the last day). Getting the kids ready in the morning can be a challenge some days when you're feeling 100%, and I could tell Dori was sucking it up this morning.

I'm glad I love what I'm doing at work, because it would be nice to have another person tag-teaming some of what I do. We have a great staff at work, but we really don't have enough manpower to do everything our leaders/we would like. It's full bore, pedal to the metal, every day, all five days. And I love it. The Lord brought me there for a reason.

Those of you who read this blog regularly know I'm down on rude and/or fast drivers. On the way back from Memphis this morning, this punk couple almost rammed us amid some serious congestion. As they passed us, they looked over like we were to blame (I was in the back seat). Ten minutes later, we see them pulled over by police. Not surprising. Thirty minutes later, they went flying by us again at 90 MPH. Again, not surprising. On the way home on I-440, some guy trailed me by only a few feet at the speed limit, despite having nowhere to go. This stuff goes on every day, and it will until the fines match the wrongdoing. On a positive note, I love the Allstate commercial that personalizes drivers and incentivizes courteous drivers. We need to keep doing the same thing with healthcare - incentivize healthy behavior and reverse the downward spiral of slodden activity in our schools. It's our fault, not the kids', for not emphasizing physical activity.

Before I hit the road yesterday, I woke up at 4:45 to run 5.5 miles. It wasn't that cold, maybe around 30 with little wind. The run felt good. Fast forward one hour when I loaded the kids in the car for school, and it was frigid. I missed that cold front by a few minutes. I ran 16.5 this week and probably walked another five on my job.

No comments: