Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dori's CaringBridge Post

Last night, Dori spoke to about 25 Team in Training tri-athletes who were scheduled to compete today. They gave her a standing ovation. Here's cause for more applause - Dori's CaringBridge post today:

“Bone marrow is perfect. NEGATIVE for leukemia.”

That is what my nurse practitioner said regarding my latest biopsy. It is customary for transplant patients to have a biopsy at their one-year transplant anniversary. For insurance purposes, I had mine a tad early. I was on pins and needles last week waiting for the results. I likened it to some kind of final exam, yet I had no way to study or prepare for it. There are still some additional tests to come from last week’s procedure (cytogenetics), but so far, so very good.

I have to admit, it has been nice not composing CaringBridge updates -- that meant that everything was going well. It feels great to write this update, though.

I am so thankful to each of you. Our family could not have gotten through this without your fabulous support and care. As I went to bed last night, I reviewed last year in my mind and smiled as I thought of all of the wonderful people we know and even those that we have never met.

It is hard to say “thank you,” because my appreciation is so much deeper than those two words. However, I want you to know that I do thank you for all the great memories during a difficult year:

- All of the eloquent, funny, touching, encouraging CaringBridge posts. With not much to do in my hospital room, they were a source of inspiration and smiles.

- All of the great visitors. I may not have been a good hostess, but I certainly appreciated seeing each of you!

- Those who spent the night with me after the transplant. Wow … you all are incredible.

- The food. Yum. The meals were great! Yes, I am talking about the meals that you made, not the Vanderbilt food.

- The top-notch medical staff at Vanderbilt -- You were professional and compassionate.

- The staff at SBA … you rose to the occasion and helped my children. Thank you as well to those who had my kids over for playdates.

- My caregivers who came to make sure I was okay and those who made trips to the clinic with me. I have memories of good conversations and fun magazine reading.

- My fellow transplant friends … I am so, so happy that I know you. We will always share a special connection.

- Each and every member of my family -- It sometimes makes me ache to think of all that you have endured. I love you.

- Those who have contributed financially to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and who have registered to become potential bone marrow donors.

- Those who prayed for me, brought me lovely gifts and touching cards.

- Those who helped my return to normalcy -- taking me to church and out to eat.

- “Hans,” my stud of a donor. I hope I meet you. You have given me the ultimate gift.

- Jim – you stood by my side, always encouraging and never judging. You are the best.

I was a bit hesitant to make the list above for fear of forgetting someone or something. Know that you all mean so much to me.

Much love,
Dori

No comments: