Sunday, September 28, 2008

ESPN Gameday Coming to Nashville


Dori was surfing a Vanderbilt college football blog this afternoon (see why I love her?) and blurted, "Wow, ESPN's Gameday is coming to Nashville Saturday!" I got that funny feeling, like I was kissing my first cute girl. Hot damn! The eyes of college football will be on US NEXT WEEKEND.

Kathryn asked me if I was going to blog about this, to which I responded, "Kathryn, there's a lot of meat on that bone. Absolutely!"

If you don't follow sports, Vanderbilt has been the joke of college football for decades. Since the mid-70s, it's been futility at its finest, or worst, depending on your perspective. Our last bowl appearance was in 1982, when I had zits. 1982 was also the last year we had a winning record. We've found inconceivable ways to lose a football game ... seriously, try me and I'll tell you when and how we did it. I'm surprised no one has written a book or made a movie about it.

The last three years of football have been better, though we haven't been able to "get over the hump." We're beating one or two good teams a year now, but not getting that elusive sixth win. This year, we're 4-0 with eight games left. Heck we may not win six or seven this year because of a brutal schedule, but I like our chances.

I won't rehash why I love this team; that's in a previous post. I will tell you I am proud to be a loyal supporter of a program that has always placed academics and character above getting the most wins to fuel somebody's ego. To me, that's why I love Vanderbilt football and this upcoming weekend. In summary:





GO DORES!

No comments: