Saturday, January 24, 2009

Picking It Up

With my next race less than two months away, it's time to add miles. This week's mileage hit 22 after today's steady nine miler. My pace was respectable at 9:26/mile, or exactly 1 hour, 25 minutes for the run. Yes, the Garmin is back on my wrist.

It was cool today (35 degrees), breezy on the outer half and not so much on the inner. I hit the halfway mark at a 9:30/mile pace and the wind helped nudge me home. I needed the run, too, to vent some frustration. Sometimes, I'm not very good at letting certain things roll off my back. This morning was one of those times. Everyone needs some alone time, and I was glad to get mine on the run.

This week's four runs were seven, three, three and nine miles. The only real hard run was the second three-miler (yesterday on a hotel treadmill before 6 a.m.). My endurance feels fine, but my speed isn't very good at the moment.

Next week, I'm going to mix in some speedwork, which is the hardest part of running. Avoiding it, though, is not prudent. If your thresholds don't improve, you can blow up on raceday.

Time to charge the iPod.

No comments: