Saturday, January 17, 2009

Venting

When something important you've been planning for two months goes away in the blink of an eye, when you have almost no control over the course of events, and when you're simply disappointed by people, what's a boy to do?

You run, cold temperatures be damned! I took off this morning into 26 degree weather, the warmest its been in three days, running north for the first four miles. With the wind at my back, all was well, even though it was tres froid. For another half a mile, I ran behind some buildings, again cold but not anything I couldn't handle.

When it was time to turn into the wind, I expected a rush of cold and that's what I got. The wind, which was 10 MPH at the start of the run, was now 20 MPH. Oh my, it was cold. The sweat underneath many layers just chilled my body. My ears felt like they might snap off. My legs turned beet red, and my face the same, as I learned later when I entered the house.

I ran the last 3.5 miles of an eight-miler directly into the hard wind and mostly uphill. If I sound like I'm complaining, far from it. It was wonderful. I needed to vent. When Charlie Brown kept getting rocks on Halloween, I bet he ran, too.

Dori gave me some good advice earlier in the morning, and I didn't really want to listen to any of it. As I battled against the elements and blew off some steam, Dori's words began to make more sense. By the end of the run, I knew she was right.

I don't have much more to share, except some songs Dori loves in the Friday Night Flashbacks mode. Enjoy and always be sure to vent when needed. Marrying the right person helps, too.





This entry wouldn't be complete without this.

2 comments:

ChuckEastNashville said...

Jim, you learned the hard way. Whenever possible, start your cold weather run into the wind. That way you avoid sweating first then cooling too quickly, per your description. Also, wherever you run, change immediately into dry clothes.

Jim said...

Chuck,

I knew it was going to hit me. Subconsciously, I think I wanted it to hit me. That said, I'll be running upwind from the start on cold days more than not.