Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dores Impress


I haven't run since Sunday, but I expected to be challenged this week to fit in some runs. It's gonna be 23 degrees tomorrow morning, but I'm going to have to grin and bear it, bundle up and run. The rest of the week looks warmer, but I need some miles. I feel lethargic after not running three days in a row ... the onion rings and tasty bison burger at Ted's Montana Grill last night probably didn't help.

The reason we were at Ted's ... our friends Runcie and Donna gave me three tickets to the Vanderbilt-UT game. So I took the kids to dinner and the game, and we had a wonderful night. Does it get better, if you're eight or nine years old, than strawberry milk shakes and then watching the Dores beat your rival, ranked No. 1 in the country, on national TV? Nope.

Some observations from the game and the atmosphere:

- I was impressed UT's team stayed on the floor for the national anthem before going back to the locker room. Their players were also gracious after the loss, which was classy. Too bad their football team and coach are the exact opposite (arrests, whiners, excuses, etc.).
- The UT fans were fine, too. The crowd was intense, but never unruly. Just a great atmosphere.
- The officiating, for both sides, was the worst I've seen in a long time ... 53 fouls - 27 on UT and 26 on VU. Let the boys play and just call the hard stuff.
- Our mascot, Mr. Commodore, looks like a dirty old man.
- We arrived about 90 minutes before game time, and the students were already there making serious noise.
- VU is 24-4 after last night's win. Our coach, now revered, was on the hot seat 13 months ago. Patience, persistence, perspective ... all powerful words. It's never as gloomy as it seems, and never as rosy.

So thank you, Runcie and Donna! That was a memorable night for me and my children. Dori watched the game today, and yes, she's a happy camper.

No comments: