Thursday, August 7, 2008

This Is Why We Run

Heather Patton, Nashville Team in Training member, shares this note from her personal honoree, Lisa Driscoll:

"Hello Everyone. My name is Lisa Driscoll and on February 24th, my life changed forever. But not in the way one would think when four days later they are told that the "flu" is not the "flu" at all, but acute leukemia. No, my life changed because God took a hold of my hand and has walked through this valley of the shadow of death with me every step of the way. He has not told me how long I will live, but he did tell me it was not my time now to go and be with Him. I can only surmise that this is because I have more rejoicing, more proclaiming, more praising, more sharing, and more loving to do here on earth.

But through all the spiritual, physical, emotional, and medical lessons I have learned, the prayers, blood and platelet donations and the monetary donations to the leukemia/lymphoma society have been crucial. Just the stem cell transplant I am receiving this month had years of research devoted to it by dedicated doctors, nurses, and patients. The apheresis machine (stem cell harvester) itself took 42 engineers and three years to invent. Your donations are going to save lives and prayerfully even find a cure to these blood cancers.

I want to thank Heather for taking me on as her "honoree" in this race. I am honored and thrilled to be able to help in some small way toward more research in this area.

May the wind be at Heather's back, the hills small, and the blessings abundant!

God Bless you Heather."

No comments: