Friday, August 21, 2009

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Something that snaps my rice krispies is complacency. Like most of you, I see this in different parts of our society. Self-absorption in our country is also distracting and rampant. Our eye is off the ball and has been for some time.

This week, I was privileged to view the opposite - pure activism and articulate arguments. It was highly inspiring and convincing.

I believe we are in extraordinary times. Pre-Depression, Pre-World War II, Pre-Civil War. Our nation is experiencing unrest. Some don't like it; I believe it's necessary. I believe many people from all walks of life are beginning to realize our nation is foundering and racing toward collapse. Hope I'm not ruining your Friday-night Wheaties.

Warren Buffett wrote in The New York Times this week that our economy will resemble a banana republic's unless Congress and America gets its act together soon. I believe everyone must sacrifice, or we're gonna be scooping out the Bald Eagle's birdcage for longer than anyone cares to imagine.

I don't care to place blame as much as to encourage compromise. Most of America is in the middle, but our leaders are on the fringes. Not a good cocktail during any crisis. That's why the activism was so encouraging and the complacency was frustrating.

Tomorrow, I get to run with people who are anything but reticent. Time to lace 'em up. It's also time for some chillin' with Stevie Ray Vaughn's very best.



This one resonated this week. One, two, three, four, five!



No embedding with this one, but thought folks may enjoy a classic from The Alarm. I know Chuck will.

To complacency and comfort, I say, "Don't let the screen door hit you."

No comments: