Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring is Here

Thursday morning, I ran four easy miles at dawn. I can't be alone in appreciating that daylight is starting around 5:30, while dusk commences around 6. Darkness at 4:30 p.m. just doesn't do it for me.

This morning, Dori and I slept in until 7. After a banana, fig newtons, OJ and coffee, I embarked on a seven-miler to cap a 14-mile week. It was warm and juicy - 65 degrees and 85% humidity with a good southwest breeze. We haven't experienced these running conditions since October. Daffodils are blooming. The air is scented with spring. Birds are everywhere, chirping like they don't own stocks or real estate.

My run went well. My wind was decent today, but scaling hills was a challenge, especially at Mile 6. I pushed through, however, thinking of Ronni and others, maintaining about a sub-9:30/mile pace. One odd moment in the run occurred at Mile 3. Near a hilltop, I passed a young lady who looked like she had just started her run. Apparently, big dudes passing her is upsetting. She floored it and blew past me, as I maintained my pace. Meow.

I listened to some good tunes on today's run. Here's a sampling.



Like drums? Enjoy this. The last 45 seconds are amazing.

No comments: