Sunday, April 19, 2009

Boston and Nashville


I woke up sore this morning, but not as sore as I expected. My thoughts, instead, are on two races - the Boston Marathon tomorrow and Country Music Marathon here in Nashville next Saturday. Good luck to two Tennessee Chucks - Chuck Hargrove who will race in Boston and Chuck Hendry, a leukemia survivor who is running the CMM Half for Team in Training!

I love this quote from a first-time Boston participant.

“The marathon is a lot less of an athletic event than it is a mind game,” said Paquette, who hopes to soon be teaching middle school math and coaching cross-country. “At around mile 17 or 18, I’m thinking, why am I doing this? You have to convince yourself to keep running.”

Here's another observation from an Alabama man who is ready to go in Beantown.

"My first marathon was in April 2007 in Nashville. My goal was to finish in under four hours. I was saying, 'Let me finish it and I'll never run another marathon.' The last 10K is tough. You can tell after mile 20 ... it turns into a second race. Your body is telling you to stop."

An American male hasn't won in Boston since 1983, while an American woman hasn't triumphed since 1985. Two great ones - Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher - will be giving it their best shot tomorrow. Many others will be achieving in other ways.

I've run the CMM Half the last three years, but am looking forward to being a spectator this year. I plan to buy a drum, bang it and yell encouraging words from the sidelines.

1 comment:

ChuckEastNashville said...

Jim, thanks for the blog mention. I jogged a 4:07, enjoyed the crowds and course. Boston Marathon is better than anyone can imagine.