Sunday, April 26, 2009

A CaringBridge Post from Chuck Hendry

This is good stuff. Thank you to Chuck Hendry for sharing, and congratulations on your finish!

Well it is over! I ran a half marathon 13.1 miles in 2:35:47.

I want to thank all of you that offered donations and support as I trained for the Music City 1/2 Marathon with Team in Training. Together we raised about $3000 that will go the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for research and assistance to those fighting Blood Cancers.

I did this for a lot of reasons and the fact that I enjoy running was not one of them. 18 months ago I underwent a Bone Marrow Transplant and while that was a very challenging task which continues to cause some issues in my life, I have made a recovery. I have been questioned and ridiculed, out of concern, by those closest to me about my attempt to run a 1/2 marathon. I think more than anything my sanity and lack of good judgment has been questioned by Abbie and my parents. I did this to show to myself that I can still do more than I think I can. I also did it so that I can go back to Vanderbilt and visit with those patients and tell them what I did, not to brag, but as encouragement and to give them hope. So much of the fight with this cancer is maintaining the right attitude and determination to beat the disease. As I have posted at other points in this journey they really do kill you to cure you. This experience has taught me so much about myself and what is important in my life. I may not have a job right now and I still have some medical issues but I am a very wealthy man because of the love and support that I have received from each of you. God has given me the opportunity to take this journey for whatever reason and I want to do my best to thank him for my life and hopefully help others along the way. Abbie and I have been blessed with so much help and encouragement that there is no way to repay it. My goal in life is to pay it forward! So that is why I ran. I ran for Kara Hobart and Dori Brown and Kim Swindell and Lilly Heinsick and Alan Bowmar and all of the other faces out there that are running their own marathons with blood cancers. This journey will never end for me cancer has changed me in so many ways that I cannot even begin to explain, but I know that it has made me a better son, husband, father, and friend.

Thanks to all of you and please enjoy a sunset with a loved one and think of me.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hello Dori and Jim,
I'm Jean from the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients and families cope with the challenges of transplant by providing vital information and personalized support services from diagnosis through survivorship. We subscribe to google blog alerts where we found your story.
Please visit our website, www.nbmtlink.org for more information regarding our programs and services, including "Celebrating 2nd Birthdays" survivor recognition and "Coping with cGVHD" webcast and support group.
All the best to you both!
P.S I walked a half marathon for TNT in 2003; my daughter, who was the survivor, ran it!!

Jim said...

Thanks for the nice note, Jean. I added your link. Cheers and good luck. Jim