Saturday, April 4, 2009

Success Story

This story reminds me of our family and others we know.

Are you registered with the National Marrow Donor Program? I hope so. Thank you if you are or you are about to register.

Some facts from the NMDP:

Most patients in need of transplant find a matched donor in their family. False
Only 30% of patients find a donor in their family. The other 70% can turn to the extended human family of NMDP Registry members like you.

Patients are most likely to find a match within their own racial or ethnic group. True
The genetic markers used to match patients and donors are inherited, so people who share a racial or ethnic heritage have a better chance of matching.

Percent of NMDP transplants that involve an international donor or recipient: 49%
To help more patients receive the transplants they need, the NMDP maintains relationships with donor centers, registries and transplant centers in more than 35 countries.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm always happy to hear success stories!