Friday, July 6, 2007

Coping

As Dori said last night on CaringBridge, we didn't hear the news we wanted to hear. The leukemia is still around, though the chemo has knocked it down from 35% to 5%-7%.

Obviously, we're experiencing new emotions, and they're very raw. Dori is still processing everything, and we have many questions for the doctors today. We were both deeply disappointed last night (still are). I was also angry last night for the first time during this ordeal. I thought to myself, "How can a healthy woman who is living her life right be subjected to something like this? Especially when I see hundreds of people in the hospital elevator who are obese with McDonald's bags in hand or they smell like an ashtray." Yes, VUMC has a McDonald's on the 2nd floor. Who made that call?

I slept at the hospital last night with Dori, which was a good call. Dori and I talked and prayed together. My mom has the kids, who have been told Mommy needs more chemo, this weekend. She and my sister Anne are just awesome.

Thanks to some good advice on CaringBridge and some fortitude from within - I really believe my military training is helping - I'm ready for Round Two today. Dori is going to kick leukemia square in the ass. This morning, we both said we're going to win, even as we stare at this surreal situation.

Bill Trocchi, I am glad you are part of this fight ... looping in Coach Corbin and now invoking the 24-hour rule has been inspirational for both Dori and me. It has been reassuring to hear from old friends, like several former co-workers at The City Paper. We've heard from Bill, Paige Orr Clancy, Catherine Mayhew, Brian Brown, Danny Bonvissuto, Megan Moriarty, William Williams and I hope I'm not leaving anyone out. But you guys are the best. I hope I can make TCP reunion that's in the works.

Yesterday was a rest day with the kids (TV and the pool). I plan to run today and a long one early tomorrow morning with good friend Ann DeNunzio. Ann is an elite runner who recently hammered the Boston Marathon. She is tough as nails, the perfect training partner for someone like me who wants to elevate his performance. I am running for Dori in Virginia, but I am also running for those of you who are backing us. It is a great channel.

I could write a book about the last 48 hours. But other chores await. Until the next post, please keep Dori and our family in your prayers.

Jim

1 comment:

Paige Clancy said...

Jim,

It's clear from this blog and CaringBridge that you and Dori have touched so many people in your lives, from childhood to college, from neighbors to coworkers, and beyond. I hope you know that the work you two are doing now is benefiting all of us who love you. We are reconnecting with you and with each other. We are praying. We are donating (more than $7,000 so far!). We are running (so to speak: at kickboxing class last night in Kirkland Hall, I imagined I was side-kicking the heck out of leukemia, and I'm sure you have inspired many people to take up running or to go the extra mile).

Thank you both for your many gifts. Your cheering fans are so numerous we wouldn't fit in Hawkins Field (even at its expanded NCAA tournament size).

Love,
Paige

P.S. Jim, because you referenced our days at TCP, I figured this quote from Dwight Schrute in "The Office" might be worth a chuckle ...

"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most."